*"Jumbler" is a new term more directly describing the age-group between the open-ended “young adult” and the broad “adults”. A jumbler is an intellectually sound and aware 17-27 year old with opinions and genuine concern or interest in the world around him/her as well as the issues affecting its communities.

Click here to have your article featured and your voice heard by our worldwide audience! We welcome you to join the movement!

Friday, April 12, 2013

Spiritual vs Religious?






I am a Muslim who loves to blog and over the past few weeks I have been receiving a lot of questions on the anonymous “ask what you please” link on my blog. These questions were regarding my religion and included questions related to sexuality, partying habits, and why I wear the headscarf. I love my readers and followers because their questions entice me to think about things I usually try to avoid thinking about and this stimulates me intellectually.

Many of these questions are intertwined with my religious beliefs and theological view on life. As I answered each question I began to ask myself questions I have always been afraid to ask because I was afraid of the answers I might discover. Questions like “How Muslim am I, if I am a true Muslim at all?” “Am I spiritually religious?” “Have I become too westernized?” and other such question. To stimulate thought and raise awareness to this topic, I want to share my spiritual journey and my relationship with God.

Recently, in a conversation with an old friend, I asked her, “Do you think I am a bad person?” She responded, asking “What makes a person good to tell who is bad?”. I should have known. Of course she is smart and asks questions as such. It certainly got me thinking, what does it mean to be good? Am I “good” good, or am I just good. Am I neither and just not good? I did not have an answer because technically, according to my religion, you’re a good person when you’re a good Muslim and obviously I wasn’t even close to being an average Muslim. Society tells you you’re a good person if you don’t lie, steal, and cheat, respect the elderly, and such, but I can not wholeheartedly say I adhere to these morals.

Now, this might not mean that I lie, steal and cheat literally. Instead it means that I sometimes commit such actions without even knowing and in ways I am not aware of. So are these actions good? Are these qualities of a good Muslim? Is my moral code “moral”? In attempting to ask those in my life whether or not they thought I was good. I began asking the religious people in my life if I was a good Muslim or not and I began to try and see myself through the eyes of others.

In doing so, I realized I was on the wrong track. I was missing one key component: me. Do I think I am a good person? Do I think I am a good Muslim or even Muslim at all? I began to shift my attention from what others thought to what I thought. This led me to a few little discoveries. It took me sometime to realize that there was a difference between spirituality and religion. Being one or the other meant different things. I continued my thought process and then had a talk with my sister, whom I asked the same type of questions: what does it mean to be spiritual vs. religious?
Well, to me at least, being spiritual means having a personal, heart-filled relationship with God where you believe there is no god but God and essentially just believing that there is a higher power that controls us all. To believe that there is one God that controls us all means believing that God is omnipotent, all-creating, all-powerful, immortal and simply one. The 113th chapter of the Holy Quran says it best:
Say: “He is Allah, (the) One. Allah, The Self-Sufficient Master, He begets not, nor was He begotten; And there is none co-equal or comparable unto Him.”
So to be considered a Muslim, one must believe in the oneness of Allah (swt) and believe Mohammad (pbuh) is his last messenger. “Okay, so I believe this to be true, what now? Am I Muslim or not?” I asked myself, but it wasn’t that simple. Islam comes with rules, and Islam is a communal religion that takes more than one person to practice it fully. How come? Here is an example: part of the five pillars is Zakat, which is an obligatory form of tax that is given every year to feed and help the poor. Another part of Islam is respecting your elders, taking care of your parents, giving charity, etc. Therefore, it really does take a community, or Umah, to fully experience Islam.
Fortunately, I grew up in a predominantly Muslim country, Palestine, for about 13 years. Because of this, I had that Umah, that community of Muslims which allowed me to properly practice the religion my parents and God chose for me. However, what happens when culture mixes with religion and you are too confused to tell them apart? For me it took a really long time to tell them apart because anything I would do that was “wrong” was said to be “haram” or “A’eab” meaning either forbidden or socially unacceptable. Those two words are used interchangeably ALL the time and it confused me and bothered me that they were used in that way.
So while sitting there trying to figure out my relationship with religion, I had to figure out what was really forbidden by God, not simply society, along with why it was forbidden and what it meant to me morally. It was quite a process. In the end, I know one day God will forgive me like I have learnt to forgive myself and I know one day I will be a modest Muslim female, but for now, I’m good with being spiritual and being the person I am regardless of if I am “good” or “bad”. I share this with you to stimulate thought and to encourage you to also take a deeper look into your spirituality. I believe that in the end, it will serve us all well.

-Muna Sharma is a proud jumbler and a former student at the University of Virginia who is currently applying to art schools hoping to major in photography. She plans to work in the Fashion Photography field and is currently working for BeachMonkey.com. You can contact her at mrs5pd@virginia.edu and find her on Wordpress



6 comments:

  1. Hey, I am one of Muna's word press followers. This post is great! I feel like even though you quoted some of the holy Qu'ran this still applies to anyone of any religion. Great work, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great Muna! I feel like it really summarizes your journey in a appropriate way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also a wordpress follower and I really like this, but it doesn't sound much like you, Muna. It doesn't have that sarcastic funny tone to it. It's lacking that personal touch that we, your readers, love about your blog. Although this is good,I can relate to a lot of it as a young Muslim guy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for visiting and commenting. We are glad this is stimulating thought and conversation, as that was the goal.

    Muna's article was featured primarily on our website www.jumbletalk.com before blogspot, so there is a little bit of a different feel, but she certainly got her experience across in a successful way.

    We are very happy to see that you also found this interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great! Would love to see more of her work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. “He is Allah, (the) One. Allah, The Self-Sufficient Master, He begets not, nor was He begotten; And there is none co-equal or comparable unto Him.” Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete